**** Have you worked in Australia under a 417 (Working Holiday) or 462 (Work and Holiday) visa between 1 January and 30 June 2017? If yes, we will be unable to prepare your tax return as the ATO have introduced some significant changes to the tax treatment for these visa holders. Please seek support from the ATO to have your taxes prepared for the 2017 financial year **** 

To help things run smoothly at your appointment, we have prepared a checklist for you to read through in advance.

Please note: Although we have the ability to retrieve details from the ATO relating to your payment summaries (from employers or Centrelink) and income from banks and financial institutions, it is not always available or up to date (especially if you come in July and early August). It's always best to have original documents to cross-check where possible, so if you could bring this information with you to your appointment it would be greatly appreciated

What you will need to bring:

  • Photo ID (if you are a new customer)
  • BSB and Account Number (so we know where to transfer your tax refund)
  • Tax File Number
  • Annual Private Health insurance statement
  • Bank interest earned
  • Spouse details including taxable and exempt income
  • Details of any child support you have paid
  • Details of depended children (if you the parent/guardian claiming their zone offset)


  • Copies of any income payment summaries/group certificates
  • Lump Sum and Termination Payment Summaries
  • Government Payment Statements
  • Amount of interest earned from banks and/or building societies

 Bring details of other income generated from:

  • Rental properties
  • Capital gains – trading shares or selling investment properties
  • Foreign income

General Work Related Expenses (here are a few of the common ones to get you thinking):

  • Motor vehicle travel – log book & associated expenses or travel diary
  • Travel expenses (e.g. transport costs & accommodation)
  • uniforms, protective clothing
  • Self education & professional development (relating to your field of work)
  • Union fees
  •  Professional registrations/licence renewals
  • Tools
  • Memberships
  • Mobile phone
  • Internet
  • Home office
  • Computers & electronic devices
  • Donations to charities
  • Prior year accounting fees
  • Income protection insurance

 (If Applicable) Rental Property Expenses:

  • Date property was first rented
  • No of weeks property was rented
  • Property address & ownership
  •  Property agent summary- if managed by a property agent
  • Insurance cost
  •  Body corporate
  • Water & sewerage charges
  •  Repairs & maintenance
  •  Capital improvements or renovations to premise - type of improvement, date occurred and cost involved
  •  Replacement of any fixture or fitting – details of item replaced, date of purchase and amount
  •  Gardening/pest control
  •  Smoke alarms & batteries              
  • Annual home loan interest charges
  • Quantity surveyor/depreciation report
  • Council rates
  • Land tax- if applicable
  • Legal cost if applicable
  • Travel expenses - to inspect property
  • Postage & stationery costs

417 (Working Holiday) or 462 (Work and Holiday) visa holders

From 1 January 2017 – as a working holiday maker – the first $37,000 of your income is taxed at 15% on every dollar you earn, with the balance taxed at ordinary Australian resident rates.

This means you are no longer entitled to the tax free threshold is you hold the below visa subclass

You are a working holiday maker if you have a visa subclass:

  • 417 (Working Holiday)
  • 462 (Work and Holiday).

You can check your visa status using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online serviceExternal Link.

When you lodge a tax return, we will work out how much tax you should have paid. If you paid too much, the ATO will give you a refund. If you have not paid enough, the ATO will send you a bill.

Would you like more information?

Visit the ATO website and view the article regarding working holiday makers